Monday 18 March 2019
Home      All news      Contact us     
reliefweb - 3 days ago

Yemen: 22 civilians killed in Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen’s Hajjah province

Source: Action on Armed Violence Country: Yemen
On March 11th 2019, Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen’s Hajjah province left 22 civilians dead and 30 injured. Among the dead are 12 children and 10 women. Another 14 children were said to be wounded. The civilians had been sheltering in a house in Talaan area whilst coalition jets were conducting the strikes. Action on Armed Violence (AOAV) records casualties (i.e. people killed and injured) from explosive violence around the world as reported in English-language news sources. In Yemen in 2018, AOAV recorded 2,330 casualties from 227 incidents of explosive violence – of which, civilians accounted for 78% (1,807) of total casualties. This accounts for an 8% rise in civilian casualties compared to the previous from 1,670 in 2017 to 1,807 last year. Of the civilian casualties recorded in Yemen, state actors were responsible for 86% (1,551), with the Saudi-led coalition responsible for the vast majority (85% of total civilian casualties), with a 9% rise in civilian casualties from the Saudi-led coalition (from 1,414 civilian casualties in 2017, to 1,535 last year). AOAV strongly condemns the use of violence against civilians and calls upon all states and groups to stop using weapons with wide-area impacts in populated areas, due to the severe impact these have on civilians.


Latest News
Hashtags:   

Yemen

 | 

civilians

 | 

killed

 | 

Saudi

 | 

coalition

 | 

airstrikes

 | 

Yemen

 | 

Hajjah

 | 

province

 | 
Most Popular (6 hours)

Most Popular (24 hours)

Most Popular (a week)

Sources